Thursday, March 24, 2011

Dental World

Author's Note: While on vacation in Florida, we drove past a dental practice by the name of "Dental World". Of course, with a name like that, an ironic theme park with the same name was forming in our heads, with new additions constantly popping up. Throughout the whole vacation, Dental World went from a small dental office, to an expansive theme park with roller coasters, water rides, and a food court. Only a few of the many attractions are featured in this short story.

Stepping out of the car, I already know this will be the best day of my life. Finally, after months of planning and waiting, the time has come. The long 23 hour non-stop car ride was worth it now that I have arrived. Dental World, here I come!

The parking lot here is quite small, so I make it to the front entrance in no time. I purchase my ticket from the mascot in the tooth suit standing out front. I step through the door into a world of magic. Disappointed, I find myself standing in the waiting room. Just as I am about to turn around, unimpressed by the reality of Dental World, I spot it. Over in the corner, a sign with an arrow points to a door stating, "Dental World this way!". Suddenly, my hopes are restored. I walk over to the door and turn the knob, hoping for the best, yet prepared for the worst.

The sun shines through the clouds, marking the path I must take to reach the land of wonder of which I have so furiously imagined all the months leading up to this moment. I walk along the path until I come to a fork in the road. The sign in front of me indicates that if I choose the left path, I will come to the Molar Coaster and the Flo-Ride. However, if I choose the right path, I might come to the Fillings Food Court. Not feeling hungry yet, I choose the left path and continue on my way.

Moments later I come to the Molar Coaster. I grab a seat in the front row of the small train taking me up to the top of a massive incline. From the top, I can see all the way from the Fillings Food Court to the parking lot where my car is parked. The train, having no way to go but down, makes a sharp turn, followed immediately by a steep descent back to the station where we started just moments ago.

The temperature clearly must be reaching around 23,000 degrees right now, even though the thermometer posted just a mere foot away from me reads 82 degrees. With the Flo-Ride in sight, I sprint over, and jump into the brush shaped raft. The attendant starts the ride and I am off. What I assume to be water splashes in my face. Up and down, the raft floats along, continuing to cool me off. As the end of the ride approches, I feel much better.

I get off the Flo-Ride and, feeling starved, I head over to the Fillings Food Court. However, Dental World has a very strict rule of waiting an hour after you ride the Flo-Ride to enjoy the wonderful, high quality, 5 star chef prepared cuisine from the Fillings Food Court. The best day ever has suddenly turned into the worst day ever as I wait out my 1 hour penalty on a bench made out of giant toothpaste tubes. Unable to sit still, I wander around pointlessly.

Finally, the wait is up and I practically sprint to the stand where I receive a stick of sugar-free gum. The peppermint flavor is unbelievably appetizing after the long wait that I have endured. I return to the bench I was previously sitting on and chew my gum in peace, reflecting on the wonderful day that I have enjoyed here at Dental World.

Unfortunately, the park is closing and I am forced to leave. This day has come to an end, yet it has been everything I dreamed of and more.

4 comments:

  1. This is by far my favorite piece you've ever written! I love the sense of humor that drove the topic, and then to treat it so thoroughly sarcastically, was hilarious. Very good. You should let that humor pop up more often in what you do. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cara this story is really funny! Nice twist with "23" :) I agree with Mr. Johnson you need to write more humorous piece's. You're really good at them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cara, you write so much better when you're not forcing it out. This is hilarious, I almost choked on my imaginary snowcone. MMM, snowcones...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sarcasm was heavy and so was your humor, and I loved it! I was laughing throughout the piece. You should write more like these :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello please leave your comment here!= )