Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Two Majesties






Author's Note: This poem was inspired by the painting "Two Majesties" by Jean-Leon Gerome. This poem is written in the point of view of the lion pictured in the painting who wishes he could stay in his fantasy world, but he knows he must return to reality.


Sitting up here,

King of the world,
Wishing this moment could last
Forever.

But, alas, this moment must end,
I must return,
I must go home,
I must take care of them.

Maybe they could come here,
No, not the young ones,
The climb up here, even for me
Is a hard one.

Red, purple, blue, yellow
these colors surround me,
threatening to close in around me
begging to be let in.

Two majesties,
The King and Nature
Working together,
To make a beautiful sight,
A land of marvelous beauty

8 comments:

  1. This was a cool response Cara. You could really tell this is a romantic poem because of all of your symbolism. The only improvement I would make would be to just add an author's note for more background information. Otherwise, this was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really a great poem,Cara. I love the format of this and how each stanza is one sentence. I agree with Sammy though, a author's note would have been nice. Great poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the layout of this poem. You have it so that the reader cannot just rush through it, and it is smart. I also like how each stanza doesn't just leave off where the previous one ended, but they all come together at the end. The only critic I would have is to clarify the 3rd stanza, because it is a little confusing, but other than that, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the others above me, I think that this piece is a wonderful one, but needs an author's note. I myself did a piece on this painting and I liked the spin that you took on it. Great job, this was a great poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought this was a good response to a good painting. Both were romantic and seemed like a reflection on things past, and when I read your poem I felt the same thing. Like the lion is an old man who is thinking back on his like. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with everything that's been said- this poem was really neat and really makes me think about how life would be different from the perspective of a lion. The language usage was pretty, and the voice was calm and majestic, just like a lion. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a great poem Cara! It really went well with the painting you chose! It was very calming to read. I also like the voice you used. To wrap it up, I agree with everyone above me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job on this poem. Like Sophia said, you really have to take your time when reading this poem, because you can't just like wisp through it by the way that you have it formatted. Another thing that I like about this poem in particular is that you have a way of using word choice that really gets the reader hooked and it really persuades them. Excellent job:)

    ReplyDelete

Hello please leave your comment here!= )